How to Create a Facebook Event?
With the coming of social networking sites and significant advancements in technology, social media has become an indispensable tool in almost all walks of life. Social media has impacted the world in many ways and is still shaping the society and the world at large. As such, one of the most popular social networking sites is Facebook. Facebook is a social networking site which allows its users to connect and socialise with one another. As of today, Facebook has over 2.23 billion active users, and this makes it the largest social networking site in the world. Facebook brings with it a lot of benefits which includes the ability to communicate with others in an instant, help businesses to improve their networking, a powerful tool for social marketing and a great research and analysis tool as well.
As such, Facebook is filled to the brim with a lot of useful features which will help its users to communicate with other users and one such feature is called Facebook Event. So what is a Facebook Event? A Facebook event allows its users to create notifications of occasions and upcoming events using the calendar and share the event with their online friends and the online community. A Facebook Event can be created by anyone with a Facebook account, and the creator can also get to choose whether to keep the event private or public. The Facebook event creator can invite his Facebook friends, family members, members of a shared group, or evens fans of a Facebook page.
Now that we know what a Facebook Event is let us see how to create a Facebook Event. Creating a Facebook page is pretty easy, and the primary requirement is a Facebook account. The First thing to do before creating a Facebook Event is to create a Photo for your Facebook Event. While creating a Facebook Event Photo, the first thing which you need to get right is its dimensions, and the appropriate dimensions for the Facebook event photo stand at 1920×1080 pixels. If the dimension of your photo is any less than the mentioned numbers, then your photo might lose its quality, and in some cases, your images might be too wide, too short and even turn out pixelated. Therefore the first pre-requisite is that you get the right picture for your Facebook Event Photo.
With your Facebook Event Photo Created, now you can start to create your Facebook event, which is as follows:
- The first thing you need to do to create a Facebook event is to navigate to the leftmost area of the News Feed on Facebook and locate the Events Tab.
- After finding the Events tab click on the + Create Event which will show you a new option.
- You will be given an option whether to create a Private Event or a Public Event. After choosing any of the options, you will be redirected to a new window wherein you will be required to fill in the details of your Facebook Event.
- The details which are required for you to fill for your Facebook events are as follows:
- Facebook Event Photo: The Facebook Event Photo will be the main image which other Facebook users will see on their News Feed. As such, one must see to it that the image is bright and vibrant, and portrays a right image of the event you are about to create.
- Event Name: The next detail to be filled is the Event name. While filling out the event name, see to it that the name of your event is clear and concise. Keep in mind that the event name can have a maximum of only 64 characters.
- Location: The Location of your event is one of the most critical and vital details which is to be filled. As such, while setting the location of your Facebook event, try to be very specific and as accurate as possible. This means adding the street address too if it is available for use. Once you are done adding the address, Facebook will create a map which will help interested people to find the directions with just a single click.
- Frequency: The Frequency of your event should also be decided before posting your event. If your event is happening just once, then select “Occurs once” and then set the date and the time of your Facebook Event. However, if your events are happening at a set frequency, then you can also set up the schedule for your event, by selecting the dates and time of the upcoming events.
- Description: The Description of your event also forms an integral part of your event as this will include all the essential details about the Facebook event. The description should be able to cover the Who, What, Where, When and Why of the event. Another smart thing to do while creating descriptions is to add hashtags and mentions of the people or party who are going to be a part of your event.
- Keyword: The next detail to be filled out is the keywords. Keywords are also equally important as they help Facebook to suggest your event/s to the people who are showing interest in your keywords.
- Kid friendly: Ticking the kid-friendly button will inform people that your event is friendly and suitable for kids.
- Ticket URL: In case you are selling tickets for the event through in partnership with another site or page, then you can insert the URL from where they will be able to buy the tickets.
- Co-hosts: If the Facebook event you have created is being hosted with other people of another party, then you can use this section to add the profiles or account information of the co-hosts.
One thing to keep in mind is that Facebook has set a limit on how many people can be invited to an event, and that number has been set at 500. This has been done to avoid spamming and other types of inconveniences. In case you send invites to a considerable number of people, and only a few of them responds then, Facebook has the power to limit further the number of people that can be invited to any of your future events.
After your, Facebook Event has been posted and it has gone live, the next step which one should take to increase the number of people participating in the event is to promote it. Promoting a Facebook Event can be done in some ways, and they are as follows:
- The first step which you can take to promote your facebook event is by sharing and talking about the event on your Facebook newsfeed, or in the various groups of which you are a part of.
- Creating a Facebook Advertisement is also one of the best ways to promote your Facebook Event. Facebook Ads are pretty cheap, and they can be created to target a select group of people.
- Another free and effective way to promote your Facebook Event is by sharing pictures, videos, update and stories about the event as the date draws near to spark interest and curiosity amongst the viewers.
- If your event has a co-host or is done in partnership with other third parties, then you can also ask them to share about the same on their social media accounts and through word of mouth.
- One can also personally invite Facebook friends as well as friends from other channels through texts, emails, chats etc. to increase the number of attendants in the event.
Why should you create a Facebook event through a Facebook Page?
Creating a Facebook event using a Facebook page brings with it a lot of benefits and advantages, and they are as follows:
- It offers you more control as you get to decide a lot of the inputs which go into the making our facebook event. This includes the level and detail of information that is displayed, whether to add co-hosts to the event and also to allow you to control who can post on the Facebook event’s wall.
- There are also a lot of built-in features which includes the ability to add an events calendar, Quick Response codes, external links etc.
- It also offers a lot of analytical insights and data which includes numbers and graphs about marketing, audience participation and engagement, conversions and a host of other added functionalities.
- One of the best benefits of creating a Facebook event through a Facebook page is that it presents to you numerous ways to promote your facebook events, products brands etc. This includes the ability to share numerous types of content such as pictures, videos, infographics etc. on the event wall, the ability to go live and engage with participants, insert ticket URLs etc.
The above are some of the significant advantages of using a Facebook page to create Facebook Events.
Some Do’s and Don’ts while creating a Facebook Events
- While Creating a Facebook Event see to it that you form partnerships with other brands or businesses to create credibility. Forming partnerships with other parties will ensure that your event also gets the added exposure which will in turn help to bring more participants to your event.
- Facebook events come equipped with a section which is dedicated solely to creating discussion about the event or anything which is attached to the event. As such the discussion section must be used as much as possible to facilitate communication and interaction amongst users. This will keep the users interested and engaged in the event. One thing which is crucial while holding discussions is that the host or the co-host must always be active and responsive to resolve queries and questions. This will further enhance the relationship between the participants and the host.
- Another thing which should be kept in mind while creating a Facebook event is to set Expectations. Setting expectations for your events will help the users get a better understanding of what your event wishes to achieve, and this will also leave a good impression on the minds of the users.
- While creating a Facebook Event always see to it that you do not post too many times in the event’s feed or wall. This will effectively prevent you from spamming the people interested in your event. As such while posting, you must see to it that the post is in relevance with the event that is being created.
- The next thing is to not to be too Vague and indirect while posting the details of the event. Make sure that the participants know what it is that they are signing up for. The details provided should be direct, clear and concise while creating an event to avoid any confusion.
- Don’t disengage or loose interaction with the people on the invite list. Instead, see to it that, the queries, questions and doubts raised by them are addressed at the earliest and also keeping in touch with them regularly by sending updates, emails etc.
Facebook events as such are filled to the brim with incredible features, and this is one of the best platforms which can be utilised to expand one’s business. The ability to post and send information about events with just the click of a button shows us the vast potential facebook market possesses, and as such utilising Facebook events, it is a must for almost all brands.